International One Design Sailing Regatta 9.4. - 16.4.2016
(Version 1.02 from 2016-01-19)
RPC2016 Notice of Race
The Round Palagruža Cannonball (RPC) sailing regatta is organised by Nautic Club sail attack (NSA) and the Yacht Club Biograd (YCB)
2. program for the 9th until 16th of april 2016
- Sa, 9.4.2016: Check in at charter base, 5pm until 6:30pm registration + assignment of tracking devices (€ 150,- deposit payment in cash), 7pm official welcome with dinner
- So, 10.4.2016: free for trainings
- Mo, 11.4.2016: 9:00am Skipper briefing, 12:00am Start of RPC
- Fr, 15.4.2016: 2:00pm price giving ceremony, buffet
- Sa, 16.4.2016: returning the yachts at charter base
3. racing area
Croatian territorial waters, Kat. III: Dalmatian coast including the islands Dugi Otok, Viš, Palagruža, Mljet, Korcula and Hvar.
Circular course with approx. 380 nautical miles: Biograd - Ugljan (port) - Dugi Otok (port) - Biševo (stb) - Palagruža (port) - Mljet (port) - Korcula (stb) - Hvar (stb) – Rogoznica - Biograd.
The named islands are course marks.
The course between these marks is left to competitors choice.
The race comitee reserves the right to alter the course according to the weather situation.
5. rules and regulations
The RPC will be governed by the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) 2013-2016, this notice of race and the sailing instructions.
The Anti Doping Code of the Austrian Federal Sports Organization shall apply.
The two turn penalty according to RRS 44.1, 44.2 and 44.4 shall apply.
The officially languages of the event are german and english. If there is a conflict between languages the german text shall prevail.
6.1 one design class / chartered by pitter yachtcharter
- Bavaria Cruiser 40 sport (B40s) with spinnaker
- Bavaria 42 match (B42m) with additional 140% genoa, spinnaker and gennaker
- Elan 350 with gennaker
1. The use of other sails than the original boat inventory or spare sails are not permitted.
2. Storm jib and try sail (not provided by the charter company) are allowed to take with you, but the use of them is allowed outside the regatta only.
3. Own sheets and blocks are allowed, but not own halyards. An own main sheet multi-purchase is not allowed.
4. Furniture, doors and mattresses has to stay on board.
5. The use of other own equipment is allowed if the original equipment provided by the charter company stays on board. Exceptional rules will be defined in the sailing instructions.
6.2 open double handed class, owner boats
1. Hull, deck, rudders, keel, mast, boom, bowsprit and structure must be as originally supplied by Seascape.
2. Number of sails that the boat can carry on board is limited to 7
3. One of the sails must be a storm jib as defined by OSR.
4. Masthead Code 0 is forbidden.
5. If mainsail doesn’t have a 3rd reef you have to carry a trysail. Trysail is not counted in the 7 sails quota.
6. Sail material and size is not limited.
7. There is no handicap – first one home is the winner.
8. Additionally (as defined by this NOR and the Sailing Instructions) Safety Equipment: EPIRB or PLB, life raft, Engine (incl. 15 liters fuel).
9. Insurance coverage has to be proven at the registry in Biograd.
10. Additionally Seascape27 class rules shall apply, unless they contradict this NOR or the Sailing Instructions.
6.3 rules for all classes
In addition to the skipper, at least one additional person on board shall have a valid sailing license for the area. Sailing experience over long distances, including night sailing, is strongly recommended for all persons in responsible positions, and prefereable for every member of the crew.
ISAF Approved Personal Offshore Survival Training Course is recommanded.
The Elegibility-Code Regulation 19 of the ISAF shall apply to all skippers and co-skippers of each yacht.
Maximum number of crewmembers on the yachts is 8, while minimum is 2.
The time limit for the finishing line at Biograd is Friday, April 15th of 2016 at 12:00am.
To make it possible to score yachts not reaching the finishing line within this time limit, there will be defined a number of evaluation zones along the race course with time limits for each zone.
Yachts will be scored according to their position at the given time limit for the actual scoring zone and ranked after other competitors that crossed the finishing line or reached an evaluation zone closer to the finishing line or are closer to the finishing line within the same evaluation zone.
8. use of engine
It is not allowed to use the engine for propulsion during the race. (exceptions see 9.)
In case of emergencies forcing the use of engine propulsion it is mandatory to notify the jury as soon as possible of time, duration, speed, course and reason of engine propulsion. The jury will decide the ranking of the boat according to the circumstances and duration of engine use, for instance with an RDG (Redress Given) in case of assistance in other yachts´ emergencies, or potentially with a DSQ in case of engine propulsion to solve own emergencies like grounding.
The use of the engine to recharge boat batteries is permitted.
9. suspending the race
Competing yachts are permitted to suspend racing, to seek shelter in case of strong weather or for repair works.
In any case of suspending the race someone has to go back to the exact position where the engine was started for propulsion or the course was left while sailing.
During race suspension it is explicitly permitted to get technical assistance (e.g. from Safety Team, Sea Help, divers, sail makers, help from charterbase....) for restoring proper function of the yacht or crew.
The reason of suspension, radio calls/calls by mobile phone and the track of the yacht must be logged accurately to stay within the race and get a scoring.
For suspending the race in case of assistance in other yachts´ emergencies someone has to go back to the position where assistance started, the optimum course to the finishing line was left while sailing or engine was started for propulsion. All radio calls/calls by mobile phone and the track of the yacht must be logged accurately and has to hand over to the Jury to get „Redress given“ (RDG).
Teams who suspend racing are obliged to notify the jury as soon as circumstances permit.
10. media and public relations
The Race is classified as Category C (according to ISAF Regulation 20).
Advertising is allowed on sails, hull and railing.
Participants grant the organisers free of charge publishing of videos and photos taken of them during the event.
Further promotion activities relating to the event are only permitted pending explicit agreement of the organizers of the RPC.
11. tracking and communications
The competitors´position data‘s will be streamed to a server, with the actual position of each boat tracked on a public website. The link to this website will be posted before the start of the race, giving paticipants and public the opportunity to continuously monitor the actual position of all participants.
To ensure comprehensive monitoring, competitors are asked to carry at least one mobile phone on board, to register its number with the race commitee, and keep it switched on for the duration of the race.
All participants are obliged to stay tuned to and monitor VHF-Channel 16 and 72 (channel used for regatta) when sailing.
Each team has to call the race committee twice a day at time specified, irrespective reception of roll-calls via VHF. Not calling the race committee can lead to DSQ.
Tactical and weather routing from outside is allowed.
12. organisation package
The organisation package carries the costs for organizing work, race committee, ranking, registration fees in Croatia, tracking system, escorting boats, Safety Team, Sea Help, weather grib files, T-Shirts, free beer as welcome after the race, Dinner at the opening, a buffet in Biograd at the prizegiving ceremony,…
For the organisation package EUR 550,- per boat and EUR 120,- per crew member will be charged.
Included in the organisation package are 100HRK starting fee for each competitor for the Croatian Organizing Authority, the Yacht Club Biograd.
13. charter of the yachts
- Bavaria Cruiser 40 sport (B40s): € 2.930,- incl. spinnaker und transitlog
- Bavaria 42 match (B42m): € 2.680,- incl. additionally 140% genoa, spinnaker, gennaker and transitlog
- Elan 350: € 2.590,- incl. gennaker and transitlog
Exclusive charter partner of the RPC Race is:
A-8230 Hartberg, Raimund-Obendrauf-Straße 30
Tel.: +43 (0)3332 66240
Fax: +43 (0)3332 66240-4
14. registration and payment
14.1 one design chartered yachts
At registration an option on a yacht will be given which is limited to two weeks after receipt of the charter contract.
The options on the yachts will be given according to incoming emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within the two weeks it will be necessary to:
- Sign and send back the charter contract
- Deposit of 50% of the charter fee to Pitter Yachtcharter
- Deposit on the organisation package of € 200,- to the organizing club sail attack:
IBAN AT531400003010944006 BIC BAWAATWW, Nautikverein sail attack
In compliance of these requirements the registration is confirmed, otherwise registration is not valid, the option expires and the next on the waiting list will get an option.
Final payment of the charter fee is required until 31.12.2015.
Final payment of the organisation package, is required until 28.2.2016.
In case of cancellation until 31.11.2015 deposit payments will be returned only if substitute crews can be found.
By cancellations later than 1.12.2015 return payment could be deducted by a fee to cover works of Pitter or sail attack or by discounts given to substitute crews.
14.2 seascape27 class
€ 200,- Deposit on the organisation package within one month of registration date.
Final payment until 28.2.2016.
15. place of registration
Nautikverein sail attack
16. trophies and prices
- "Spirit of Palagruza Trophy” von Hartl Metall - as challenge trophy will be awarded to the crew of the first ship home
- Challenge Trophy „Red Lantern“ (designed and made by Christoph Noehrig) for the skipper with the longest sailed time within the race
- Trophies and medals for the first 3 boats in each of the one design classes (If less than 5 boats in one class according less trophies will be awarded)
- Challenge Trophy for sailing club with the fastest boat in one of the chartered classes (All crew members have to be a member of the same sailing club, approved by the national sailing federation)
17. exclusion of liability
Sailing regattas may be dangerous.
The qualification, correct nautical conduct and safety of the crew is at all times the responsibility of the skipper, and his/her alone.
„The responsibility for a boats decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone” (RRS 4)
The responsibility for the decision to take part in the regatta, to head for a safe port or to continue the race at any time, is his/her alone responsibility. This responsibility is not changed or lessened by the use of the Special Regulations of ORC or possible safety controls or checks through third parties.
The organizers, the organizing club, it‘s members, persons working for the club, sponsors, and partners, assume no risk or liability whatsoever in relation to participation or planned participation in the race.
All skippers accept these points of the notice of race by signing the registration form.
18. event organizer and race supervision
Nautikverein sail attack
19. modifications of this notice of race
19.1 Version 1.02 modifications to version 1.00 from 14.7.2015:
5. rules and regulations
Cancelled: " the explanations to the NOR on https://roundpalagruza.at/topics/faq"
9. suspending the race - shelter in harbours or bays
New headline more general: 9. suspending the race
Text inside point 9. rewritten
11. tracking and communications
Cancelled: Tactical or weather routing help from outside is not permitted, exept informations delivered by the organisers or those which are public, free and visible for all competitors. In doubt contact the organizer.
New: Tactical or weather routing help from outside is allowed
Vienna, 19.1.2016 – Subject to modifications and amendments. – © NSA/Ronnie Zeiller – www.roundpalagruza.org